If the instructions/steps don’t work for your satellite, you have to visit the support centre and enter the name of the product or the Serial Number of your system. Once your system is entered, you have to search the FAQs under the Common Topics or choose the other to search using your own search terms.
If your Garmin automotive device is no longer obtaining satellites, make sure that this is not being caused by something in your environment.
As GPS devices are used, data is collected which helps them obtain satellites quickly at the start of each use. If a device is used daily, then it should be able to secure satellites in a less or minute. Using a GPS device while it is outdoors with a clear view of the entire sky is the ideal condition for obtaining satellites.
Issues that cause the system to unable to obtain satellites
- If your system has not been used for a prolonged period of time it may take 3-5 minutes to obtain satellites.
- If your system is trying to obtain satellites for the first time, it may take much longer than the normal to establish an initial position. If the device is driven on and outdoors with a clear view of the sky, should not take much more than 3-5 minutes.
- If your system does not have full view of the sky while placed in the car, it may not obtain satellites appropriately. For best satellite procurement, mount the system on the dashboard or on the windshield.
- If your device is indoors then it may not obtain satellites. Even standing next to a window indoors will block the sky which is necessary for a system to lock and locate onto a signal satellite.
- If your system has moved over 500 miles while curved off or not following your travel, it may take 3-5 minutes to obtain even in ideal conditions.
- Some vehicles are equipped with special windshields that may comprise metal in the glass (metal oxide) that checks the GPS device from having a clear line of sight to the satellites.
- If your vehicle has a shielding coating on its windshield or electronic devices which inhibit with the system receiving signal, your device may not be talented to acquire satellites in this environment.
- If you suspect this to be an issue, try taking the device outside of the vehicle with a clear view of the sky for 3-5 minutes so that the device can obtain satellites. If your device loses satellites once moved back into your vehicle, this is most likely the reason.
If your device is still having distress acquiring satellites, make sure that it has the latest version of OS by following steps in Software with Garmin express and update Map progress. Once your system is updated, allow the system to acquire satellites outdoors in a stationary position with a clear view of the sky.
John Woods is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cyber security, malware, social engineering, Games, internet and new media. He writes for Garmin GPS Support at Garmin GPS Customer Service.